Reiki is universal life energy. Reiki (pronounced "ray key") is actually two Japanese words: "Rei," meaning universal life, and "ki," meaning energy. Ki is the same as "Chi" in Chinese, "Prana" in Sanskrit, and "Mana" in Hawaiian. When activated, Reiki addresses body, mind and spirit by accelerating one's ability to heal oneself. The body is reminded of its ability to heal physical ailments, the mind opened to the causes of disease, and the spirit to the opportunity of taking responsibility for one's life and the joys of balanced wellness.
Dr. Mikao Usui
Founder of Reiki
Reiki is a non-invasive method of correcting imbalances in the body’s energy field. Using light touch to clear deeply held emotional blockages enables energy to flow freely which allows the body to adjust and heal itself. It is a holistic healing modality and a hands-on healing method that helps to re-align and bring the body into a natural balance physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.
Reiki is a great pain reliever, and can be used after surgery, chemotherapy or other severe health concerns. You can use this energy on everyday concerns like headaches, stomach problems, wounds, stresses, or babies with colic or teething pain. Children find the energy very relaxing; Reiki is wonderful for the over-active child. Reiki can be used on newborns, grandparents, plants and the pet.
Scientific theories of Reiki
The following scientific theories of Reiki (William Lee Rand, 2005) show that some of the healing aspects of Reiki have been demonstrated to exist using the laws of physics and biology.
Electrical nature is an important role of the human body functioning. There are electric currents flowing through the nerves, through the blood, and through all the organs and cells.
Electrocardiogram is the sample to demonstrate this idea, which is a medical instrument used to measure the electrical activity of the heart. This electrical activity can be measured anywhere on the body, showing that the heart’s energy is present throughout the body. There are similar instruments to measure the electrical activity of the brain and nervous system (an electroencephalogram) and the muscles (an electromyogram).
Ampere’s Law explained that when an electric current flows through a conductor, an electromagnetic field is created around the conductor. Thus, every cell, tissue, and organ in the body has its own electromagnetic field. Many medical devices used to measure the body’s magnetic fields, which are more accurate methods of measuring the activity of the body’s organs than measuring the electrical activity. SQUID (Superconducting Quantum Interference Device) has been used worldwide to study the electromagnetic nature of the human energy field.
Faraday’s Law of Electromagnetic Induction mentioned that a change in an electromagnetic field will induce a similar change in electrical flow in conductors close by and thus in their electromagnetic fields. In this way, every aspect of the human body, mind, and emotions are connected to and affecting each other through electromagnetic induction. This scientifically based knowledge and understanding validates the basic concept of holistic medicine.
By using the magnetograms, it has been confirmed that each organ in the body has a pulsing electromagnetic field. When the body organ is healthy, it pulses within a certain range of frequencies, but when it is unhealthy, it moves out of this normal range. As an example, the healthy range for nerve tissue is in the 2 Hz range; the range for bone is approximate 7 Hz; for ligaments it is around 10 Hz; and higher frequencies are needed for skin and capillaries. It has also been found that the heart creates the strongest electromagnetic field, which has been measured to a distance of fifteen feet.
The hands of Reiki healers have been founded to produce strong pulsing electromagnetic fields, whereas pulsing fields are not found around the hands of non-healers. When a healer treats the receiver, the healer’s hands begin pulsing at a rate that the unhealthy organs or tissues they are treating need to be healthy. Through this process of magnetic induction or Faraday’s Law, the healer’s hands induce the healthy frequency into the unhealthy electromagnetic field of the organ thus helping the organ to return to a healthy state.
Reiki and Medical Treatment:
The popularity of Reiki has been demonstrated in a recent scientific study published in Alternative Therapies, Jan-Feb 2005 issue, in which it specifies that in 2002 over one million US adults received one or more Reiki treatment.
Reiki is being used in hundreds of hospitals and clinics across USA, UK, France, Japan and Australia. Doctors, nurses, and other licensed healthcare providers have found Reiki to be effective in reducing the side effects of radiation and drugs. They have also discovered Reiki to reduce or even eliminate the need for pain medications, reduce anxiety and stress, improve sleep and appetite, quicken the healing process, and reduce hospital time.
Examples of many hospital programs that use Reiki (from Reiki News Magazine):
- The Solaris Care Cancer Support Center (formally - Brownes Dairy Support Center for Cancer and Leukemia), situated within Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- The University of Texus M.D.Anderson Cancer Centre in Houston, Texas, a world-renowned cancer-treatment hospital
- The California Pacific Medical Centre, the largest hospital in northern California
- National Institutes of Health Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Centre
- Portsmouth Regional Hospital in New Hampshire
- Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover
- Concord Hospital
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Centre
- Bennington Southwestern Medical Centre
- Frisbee Memorial Hospital
- Elliot Hospital in New Hampshire
- Anna Jacques Hospital
- Union Hospital in Massachusetts
- The Consortium of Academic Health Centres for Integrative Medicine with 27 hospitals, clinics, and medical centres as members
Reiki was also recognized by the Harvard Medical School (www.health.harvard.edu) as a stress-reducing touch therapy which could facilitate the healing process. Several American hospitals have pilot programs to study the benefits of touch therapies, including Reiki. (Harvard Heart Letter, October 2005, p.3) Otherwise, Reiki is considered a harmless sort of massage in the West and is not a regulated profession. There are various Reiki federations and associations in Australia, the UK and the USA but they are not government authorities which certify or regulate practitioners.
Health care professionals like nurses, caregivers, massage therapists or reflexologists, can use this energy as it is a great complement to other treatments.
However, Reiki Masters and practitioners are not qualified to give medical diagnosis, advice or treatment, but Reiki can work with medical treatment to facilitate and accelerate healing. Inform your practitioner of any medical or psychological treatment you are receiving, and let your doctor know you are receiving Reiki. If you are taking medication, you must monitor your needs carefully because Reiki has been known to result in needing less medication. The Reiki practitioner should never suggest that Reiki replace conventional medical treatment.
Reiki works on the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual levels, and can help you enhance every aspect of your life. For example:
- Promotes deep relaxation through assisting the body to release stress and tension, improves the quality of sleep
- Accelerates the body’s natural ability to heal thus reducing recovery time after surgery, chemotherapy, or illness
- Helps relieve pain such as migraine, sinus and chronic back pain
- Reduces the effects of many stress related illnesses
- Restores depleted energy levels and one’s sense of vitality
- Boosts the immune system and lowers blood pressure
- Assists the body in cleansing itself of toxins
- Improves blood circulation
- Enhances ongoing self-healing process
- Eases depression and insomnia
- Restores emotional balance
- Eases addiction, and issues relating to self esteem
- Relieves emotional distress and sorrow and provides emotional support during grieving process for the loss of a loved one
- Helps to release emotional blockages that may be holding one back or negatively affecting one’s current health and happiness
- Helps one to handle one’s feelings, thoughts, words and actions with better understanding of oneself
Mental & spiritual benefits
- Promotes a sense of peace, calm and well being
- Helps to restore balance and harmony within oneself
- Aids spiritual growth and emotional clearing; raises the vibrational frequency of the body
- Clarifies thought, giving one the presence of mind to make better decisions
- Deepens one’s sense of connection to one’s Source
- Gives a greater sense of purpose
- Empowers the individual to take responsibility for his or her own health and well-being as well as promoting self-development
- Gives one a deeper connection to life and supports one’s spiritual development
Reiki Level I … triggers the student’s innate power to self-heal and to heal others
Reiki level I is a hands-on method which is experienced as a powerful yet unobtrusive flow of healing energy. The attunement process will open students to channel the universe’s energy for the intent of their healing journey or that of another. This process is what sets Reiki apart from other hands-on modalities. The client usually experiences warmth (sometimes coolness) of the energy emanating from the practitioner’s hands in varying degrees. Most people experience a sense of calmness and a decrease in their stress level as a result of a Reiki session. It is common for clients to fall asleep during their session and when they awaken they often feel calm and serene. Receiving Reiki is undoubtedly the best way to understand this natural flow of healing energy.
The workshop is an investment that brings a lifetime of benefits.
During the 2-day workshop, students will receive attunements (energy transfers) from the crown of their heads through to the students’ hands by direct contact from the teacher.
This training gives students a course that is clear, structured and full of powerful healing techniques. By the conclusion of the workshop, students will have learnt of these healing techniques enabling them to progress and effectively connect to the healing energy.
Course Contents - Reiki Level 1
Our Level 1 course helps students connect to Reiki energy.
At the course, students will:
- Learn what Reiki is, history and uses of Reiki
- Learn how to feel the energy
- Have a basic understanding of the chakra system and how it effects our wellbeing and illnesses, how to balance the chakras and how Reiki can strengthen them
- Practise meditation methods and breathing exercises to increase the flow of chi or life force and strengthen the healing process
- Have an understanding of the 5 Reiki precepts
- Be able to use Reiki for self-healing and healing others (in seated position and lying position) – after the attunement, students will practice Reiki that very first day on themselves and then on another participants
- Learn Reiki hand positions and how they help one increase the power of the healing sessions
- To complete the level I, students will be expected to complete 5 case studies and 5 self-healing sessions.
Reiki Level II … raises the student’s vibration and enhances his or her intuition
This second method is also known as Absent Healing or Distance Healing. Reiki II practitioners may provide an Absent Healing from a distance with the permission of the client, which allows students to send the Reiki energy to anyone or any place. Students will also be introduced to ancient symbols that intensify the potency of the energy flow to help them greatly progress in healing themselves and others. The extra-sensory perception potential will also be developed. The attunement of Reiki Level II will raise the students’ vibration and enhance the intuition. This workshop is truly a unique experience where students will discover their innate abilities.
Course Contents - Reiki Level 2
At Reiki Level II, students will:
- Understand practitioner roles, ethics & guidelines
- Understand the nature of healing
- Learn chakra system and aura
- Be introduced to ancient symbols that intensify the potency of the energy flow to help them greatly progress in healing themselves and others - students will learn what each symbol's purposes are and how to draw them
- Receive the second attunement which will raise their vibration and enhance their intuition
- Learn Byosen scanning technique
- Learn Gyoshi Ho or sending Reiki with the eyes
- Develop the intuition and also how to connect to their higher wisdom.
- Learn and facilitate distance (absent) healing and access subconscious mind/Higher Self through a process of writing.
- To complete the level, students will be expected to complete 5 case studies.